17 June 2011

Capital Growth - Julian Munro


Piggy Bank Concept:

Initially, it was hard to resist the temptation of taking a cheeky approach and re-working the humble form of a ‘piggy bank’ into something a little juicier. In the end though, the inspiration was Matryoshka dolls (Russian nesting dolls). The nesting birds lend themselves to many interpretations of capital growth through their size, increasing ‘investment capacity’ and ‘returns’, and the basic idea of starting small and growing over time. There is also the physiological reference to reproduction and growth of numbers, in this case a family of penguins - each lending its services as a bank to a different member of the family. This way mum, dad and junior all have a ‘penguin bank’ of their own – allowing saving to become a more socially rewarding activity for the whole family to enjoy.

Artist Bio:

My path to design came from my father teaching me how to make things with my hands, and my mother who nurtured my artistic tendencies through art and craft. I attended a Steiner school in Byron Bay and then studied fine art at university before graduating with a Bachelor of Industrial Design from Queensland University of Technology in 2009. Since then I have worked as a freelance artist and designer but now enjoy the stimulation of working on all facets of interdisciplinary design challenges at Studio Derlot.

You can view more of Julian's work at:

http://www.derlot.com/

http://www.derloteditions.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment